Monday, February 14, 2011

Curious Colin's Curious George 1st Birthday Party


This is my sweet baby boy Colin. He just turned one. He is actually my niece Paula's sweet baby boy but he is the joy in my life right now. I've turned the party planning reigns over to Paula for her kids' party tables. I just steer her to the right blogs and places to order stuff and it's fun to see what she can't resist ordering. I think she wants to go into the party planning business now. She has really caught the decorating bug for these things. Her husband Allan though is not too fond of the idea of her giving up her nurse practitioner job though.
I do believe Paula's been planning this birthday party since Baby Boy's baby shower. It could have started at Kelsey's Harry Potter Party but I know she's had it on the burner for quite awhile. I think Curious Colin had a lot to do with the party theme. He's into everything and he started out making monkey noises early on.

Love the backdrop? I told Paula about Angie doing this for her New Year's Eve party in peacock colors and how pretty it was. I steered Paula to the Devra website and she ordered away. She had already purchased a bunch of Curious George books and toys off of Ebay a long time ago. I helped her display some of the sweets using the toys to keep the colors working together. She went to town on the backdrop. I thought it looked great!

This is an old toy gumball machine I think and I took the lid off of the space ship and added the Twizzlers. To add height I stacked some red and yellow blocks and plopped it on them.
I took Colin's little workbench toy with the pegs in it and stuck the popcorn bags in between the pegs.

Paula candy coated these pretzels and I found some old huge Lego's that I had and turned them over to use for a display for them.
I put the straws I ordered (along with the popcorn bags) from The Sugar Diva in the candy coated marshmallows Paula made and stuck them in floral foam inside Colin's shape-sorting toy. I then put together some waffle blocks I had and set it on them to equal out the height on both sides. Paula bought these candy jars full of candy at Walmart right after Halloween for a dollar each. Just tied on a different colored ribbon. Ta-Da.
Paula covered three different sizes of boxes with yelloew paper to make a stand for these candies. I found Curious George fruit snacks at Big Lots and cut the Man with the Yellow Hat and George off of the box and taped it to the front as directed by the MaddyCakes Muse blog who also has a great Curious George party.

Paula did a fantastic job of hanging these fans above the cake table. She ordered most of them online from Luna Bazaar.

Red Valentine cupcake stand purchased by Paula at Walmart for $5. Can't beat that.
Paula's cupcakes turned out beautiful. She made the toppers with her new Cricut she got for Christmas. She also made the birthday banner with it.
Colin's sister Emma and Paula baked his cake and Grandma Nora decorated it.

Instead of doing my usual fruit display I decided in honor of monkeys everywhere to make a banana display instead. The top was lacking something without the usual pineapple so I took a glue gun and glued the toy on at the last minute.
We dug around in out cabinets and found our colorful bowls and such to display some of the food on. The food in the slow cookers (the good stuff) of course we didn't photograph.

Paula has these shelves in her kitchen and we filled them with the toys and some of the paper plates for the guests to grab.







Colin had his own monkey cake from Walmart Bakery. We took his shirt off before we gave it to him. He wasn't interested in eating it though. Can't say that I blame him there. It didn't look very appetizing. It did however make for great shampoo for his hair.


Colin received plenty of gifts but was most interested in the punch balloon as they were being opened.

This party is listed at

and http://catchmyparty.com/


8 comments:

Brittany Schwaigert said...

Love and adore that backdrop! So cute!

Unknown said...

Love the background of the table. So fab!!!!!

Melisa Gaines said...

Cute party! I'm planning my son's monkey theme 2nd birthday party and would love to know how you made the banana tower!

Heidi said...

Replicating this for my son's third birthday! I've been collecting CG for almost 2.5 years in preparation. Ollies a discount outlet here has CG bargains that are perfect. Question though - How is the banana centerpiece constructed?

Sandy said...

Thanks for the nice comments. As for the banana tower, I have an old wooden Christmas Tree shaped thing with nails sticking out of it that I stuck the bananas on. I couldn't tell you where to find one since it is so old. I've taken a styrofoam tree before and secured it with sticky stuff and the poked it with wooden skewers for the same effect though.

Unknown said...

Love the Centerpiece. Come and see our new Curious George Party http://www.specialbirthdaypartyideas.com/curious-george-birthday-party-ideas/

Anonymous said...

Can u please tell me how u did the background I loveeeeee it

Sandy said...

Go to this website
http://www.devra-party.com/
and order some of those fancy tissue garlands,then push pin them
to the ceiling hanging beside each other for the effect you want. If they are too long you can cut them and hang them from the other end to stretch your dollars.